Miles Franklin School was established as a learning community in 1980. Parents, teachers and students came together to name the school after Miles Franklin, who is most noted for her work 'My Brilliant Career'. A long lasting tradition was set. The current community upholds the tradition of Miles Franklin through the annual whole school celebration of Miles Franklin's birthday and a Kindergarten to Year 6 Brilliant Writers competition. The strength of our school lies in the close partnership between students, staff, parents, and the wider community. Highlights of this close partnership are the annual Miles Franklin Music Festival and the Spring Fete. Students in our school are offered a balanced learning program that supports and nurtures the development of children's academic, personal and social well-being. Our pastoral care promotes student understanding of the need for individuals to care for, support, and value each other within a safe environment.
Miles Franklin is a school of choice with the majority of our students living beyond our priority enrolment area. Parents value our emphasis on academic rigour, the range of programs offered and the mutual support we give each other in building and sustaining the school community.
We have identified six key areas as our focus in 2012:
- Implement the Australian Curriculum, particularly in English, Maths, History and Science
- Further improve our excellent results in literacy and numeracy
- Develop effective infrastructure, such as an Executive Governance structure, communication and relationships procedures and capital works upgrades
- Continue our journey of environmental sustainability and develop our school garden-to-kitchen program
- Implement the National Quality Standard in our preschool classes
- Maintain our high levels of differentiation to cater for the individual needs of all children, incorporating innovative technologies
This year also sees the opening of our time capsule which was sealed in November 1987. Along with enrichment and support programs to support student learning opportunities, Miles Franklin offers a number of programs that enhance the day to day teaching programs of the school. These include private music tuition, a before and after school care program, and a school holiday program. Our website will provide you with vital information about the school, its programs and general information. Please contact the school for any other information you require.
I look forward to welcoming you and your child/children to our great school and to working with you to provide quality learning programs.