It is an honour to be the Principal of Miles Franklin Primary School, assisting children reach their academic, social and personal goals. I am privileged to work with skilled staff and highly dedicated and supportive parents and carers, working in partnership to cater for children's individual needs.
Miles Franklin School was established as a learning community in 1980. Parents, teachers and students came together to name the school after Stella Miles Franklin, who is most noted for her work 'My Brilliant Career'. A long lasting tradition was set. The current community upholds the tradition of Miles Franklin through the annual whole school celebration of Miles Franklin's birthday and a Kindergarten to Year 6 Brilliant Writers competition with awards for both English and French entries.
The strength of our school lies in the close partnership between students, staff, parents, and the wider community. Highlights of this close partnership are the annual Miles Franklin Music Festival (30 years this year) and the Spring Fete. Students in our school are offered a balanced learning program that supports and nurtures the development of children's academic, personal and social well-being. Our pastoral care promotes student understanding of the need for individuals to care for, support, and value each other within a safe environment.
Miles Franklin is a school of choice with the majority of our students residing outside our Priority Enrolment Area. Parents value our emphasis on academic rigour, the range of programs offered and the mutual support we give each other in building and sustaining the school community.
In an exciting development we have been granted candidate status with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Organization:
Miles Franklin Primary School is a candidate school* for the Primary Years Programme. This school is pursuing authorisation as an IB World School. These are schools that share a common philosophy—a commitment to high quality, challenging, international education that Miles Franklin Primary School believes is important for our students.
We have identified five key areas as our focus in 2015:
- Implementing the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program. This year we will be refining our programs of inquiry and readying for our verification application.
- Continuing to extend upon our excellent results in Literacy and Numeracy in the 2014 NAPLAN and PIPS assessments where our Year Three results were higher than the Australian average, our Year Five results were at the Australian average in four of five areas and nine out of ten children in Kindergarten met or exceeded their expected growth in the ACT PIPS assessments.
- Addressing the needs of high ability learners. We pride ourselves on our differentiation to meet the diverse needs of all learners. This year we will have an emphasis on students who demonstrate a readiness to learn and perform at a high level after all staff were trained in the mini-COGE (Certificate of Gifted Education) through the University of New South Wales.
- Continuing the development of our Restorative Relationships model, with an emphasis on consequences for inappropriate behaviour; the safety of our children and their learning is paramount.
- Engaging parents in their children's learning. Parental support is vital, whether it be in the classroom or at home.
Miles Franklin offers a number of programs that enhance the day to day teaching programs of the school. These include private music tuition; a before and after school care program, and a school holiday program. We expect our children to be polite, on time, in uniform and with a desire for their curiosity to be fulfilled and further extended. Miles Franklin is a leader in providing cloud-based learning for our children in Years Three to Six. We are currently offering extension programs for children in Physical Education and for those who have shown a strong aptitude in French (the language we teach from Kindergarten to Year Six) we are also offering Indonesian this year. Children who are struggling with reading in Kindergarten, Year One and Two are offered flexible group sessions where they receive specialist tuition in a small-group setting. We also have a dedicated teacher for children who have English as an additional language or dialect.
Our website and school app (available for Apple, Android and Windows) will provide you with vital information about the school, its programs and general information. Please contact the school for any other information you require.
I look forward to welcoming you and your child/children to our wonderful school and working with you to provide quality learning programs.
M.A. (London); M.Ed. (Deakin)
*Only schools authorised by the IB Organization can offer any of its three academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), or the Diploma Programme (and in addition the IB Career-related Certificate). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted. For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit http://www.ibo.org