It is an honour to be the Principal of Miles Franklin Primary School, assisting children reach their academic, social and personal goals. I am privileged to work with skilled staff and highly dedicated and supportive parents and carers, working in partnership to cater for children's individual needs.
We are delighted to have been granted IB World School status at the end of 2015 offering the Primary Years Programme. We offer education as part of a global community of schools and educators that has been assessed as meeting a world standard of high quality, challenging, international education. Our children’s ability to think globally and act locally, to reflect on their personal strengths and areas for further challenge, to inquire and become more independent in their learning will enhance their opportunities. For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit http://www.ibo.org.
Miles Franklin School was established as a learning community in 1980. Parents, teachers and students came together to name the school after Stella Miles Franklin, who is most noted for her work 'My Brilliant Career'. A long lasting tradition was set. The current community upholds the tradition of Miles Franklin through the annual whole school celebration of Miles Franklin's birthday and a Kindergarten to Year Six Brilliant Writers competition with awards for both English and French entries.
The strength of our school lies in the close partnership between students, staff, parents, and the wider community. Highlights of this close partnership are the annual Miles Franklin Music Festival (32 years this year) and the Spring Fete. Students in our school are offered a balanced learning program that supports and nurtures the development of children's academic, personal and social well-being. Our pastoral care promotes student understanding of the need for individuals to care for, support, and value each other within a safe environment.
Miles Franklin is a school of choice with the majority of our students residing outside our Priority Enrolment Area. Parents value our emphasis on academic rigour, the range of programs offered and the mutual support we give each other in building and sustaining the school community.
Our Focus areas for 2017 include:
- Continuing to embed and strengthen the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme in our school with a focus on integrating Maths inquiry more fully into our units if inquiry. Our new Strategic Plan (2017-2021) also focuses on improving our Writing results with children.
- Our Strategic Plan also highlights making the school a more safe and supportive learning environment. This year we are implementing a new social and emotional learning program, Friendly Schools Plus, to enhance the IB Learner Profile and Attitudes used in the school.
- Continuing to extend upon our excellent results in Literacy and Numeracy as shown by our Year Three and Year Five NAPLAN and Kindergarten PIPS results.
- Addressing the needs of high ability learners through differentiation, greater levels of inquiry-based learning and curriculum extension and enhancement opportunities.
- Continuing to engage parents in their children's learning. Parental support is vital, whether it be in the classroom or at home.
Miles Franklin offers a number of programs that enhance the day to day teaching programs of the school. These include private music tuition; a before and after school care program, and a school holiday program. Miles Franklin is a leader in providing cloud-based learning for our children in Years Three to Six. Children have the chance to be a part of our School Brass Band (Years Five and Six), join our choir (Kindergarten to Year Six) or to perform in Wakakirri (a dance festival) this year (Years Three to Six). Children who are struggling with reading across the school are offered flexible group sessions where they receive specialist tuition in a small-group setting. We also have a dedicated teacher for children who have English as an additional language or dialect, a specialist PE teacher, French teacher and Visual Arts teacher.
Our website and school app (available for Apple, Android and Windows) will provide you with vital information about the school, its programs and general information. Please look in our ‘DropBox’ (tab just above this message on our website) for most documents or contact the school for any other information you require.
I look forward to welcoming you and your child/children to our wonderful school and working with you to provide quality learning programs.
M.A. (London); M.Ed. (Deakin)